The 43rd International Kolkata Book Fair is now at the verge of its inauguration on the 31 January 2019 and all the micro events are now slowly falling in place before the mega events starts.
International Kolkata Book Fair 2019 will be inaugurated on 31 January 2019 at 4 pm at the Central Park Mela Complex, Salt Lake, Karunamayee in the presence of Hon’ble Chief Minister Smt. Mamata Banerjee, H.E. Ambassador of Guatemala, the Theme Country, Prof Euda Morales, author from Guatemala and other Hon’ble Ministers of West Bengal.
The following are the highlights of this year’s International Kolkata Book Fair
1. There will be approx. 600 stalls and 200 Little Magazines.
2. There will be nine entry and exit gates in the IKBF 2019 for the easy movement of the visitors. The two main gates will be the replica of Guatemala’s architecture.
3. The three halls of the Fair having mainly the English publications have been named after
Nirendranath Chakraborty, Dibyendu Palit and Atin Bandyopadhyay who passed away recently. The Little Magazine Pavilion will be named after Pinaki Thakur.
4. For booklovers, Government of West Bengal will provide additional 190 shuttle buses service
between Howrah station, Sealdah station, Ultodanga, Garia, Behala and Shyambazar to the
Central Park Mela Ground during the fair days.
5. Wi fi zone for the authors, guests and media friends.
6. A special medical assistance service with ambulance and well equipped doctors, by Peerless Hospitex Hospital And Research Center Limited, Health Partner of IKBF 2019.
7. International Kolkata Book Fair 2019 android and IOS mobile app to locate any stall in the fair, created by CESC will be available from play store soon.
8. The website and the app of International Kolkata Book Fair will provide all information.
9. 20 Countries across the globe will participate at the International Kolkata Book Fair 2019.
Authors from Russia, Costa Rica, Spain, Scotland, Australia, Guatemala, Argentina, Bangladesh will be participating in different interactive sessions and seminars with noted Indian authors.
Major events of the International Kolkata Book Fair 2019
1. 1 February will be the Guatemala Day. On that day, Asoke Sarkar Memorial Lecture will be
2. As informed earlier, starting this year, apart from the Focal Theme Country, we have decided to focus and showcase the literature and culture of one Indian scheduled tribe in the Book Fair. This year the focus will be Lepcha and they will participate with a stall. On 2nd February, an evening with the Lepcha will also be organised.
We are indebted to CESC for their all-out cooperation. There will be a CESC Corner for eminent guests of Book Fair like last year which will be grandly decorated. The daily lottery will be held from there, where CESC will distribute Book Gift Coupon worth Rs 10,000/- per day to the lucky winners.
“Buy books and win a Book Library” – the grand finale of the daily lottery will be organised on the last day of the Fair. Unlike the past few years we will have four lucky winners and each one of them will be presented with a Book Library for their home. Each Book Library will consist of a designer book shelf filled with books worth one lakh. The winners will have the privilege of selecting the books they want. This presentation will be one more effort of the Guild towards increasing the reading habits of book lovers
A special ‘CESC Srishti Samman’ will be awarded this year to Manishankar Mukhopadhyay.
We are especially indebted to State Bank of India-our official Banker for providing full banking facilities & ATM and e services in the Fair Ground. We are also indebted to ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company – our Official Insurer. We also acknowledge support from West Bengal Khadi & Village Industries Board, our Heritage Partner, National Jute Board-Our green partner and Novotel our hospitality partner.
The other major attraction of the International Kolkata Book Fair that we all look forward to, will be the 6th edition of the Kolkata Literature Festival which will be held on the 7th, 8th and 9th February, 2019. We have with us today the Director of Kolkata Literature Festival, Ms. Sujata Sen who will apprise you of the events and attractions of this year’s Literature Festival.
6th Edition of Kolkata Literature Festival
Thursday 7th to Saturday 9th February 2019 within the Kolkata Book Fair at Central Park.
Timing 1-7.30 p.m. on all three days.
Over 65 writers
24 sessions (including sessions preceding KLF)
9 countries (Scotland, UK, Russia, Italy, Bangladesh, Cuba, France, Gautemala, India)
Free access to all visitors at Kolkata Book Fair.
• Bangla sessions by leading Bengali writers
• Due DeshEk Bangla
• Film and stage — Bollywood / Bengal
• 50 years of GupiGayenBaghaBayen
• Dalit writers
• New fiction / new writing / new audiences
• Changing face of Indian publishing
• Graphic novels
• India’s security challenge
• The definitive story of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose
• The Jit Paul Memorial Lecture
Few Names:Sanjib Chattopadyay
Arvind GuptaDalit writersTinnu Anand for Goopy Gayen Bagha Byne