BJS is an NGO-MFI working since 2006 with the mission of socio-economic development of the weaker section people of our society especially women and children, through delivery of microfinance services and other social development programs like financial literacy, heath, education etc. BJS has adopted a holistic approach in order to tackle problems related to poverty. This program of financial inclusion is for empowering women as well as for addressing other social issues at large in underdeveloped areas.
At present, 150 fulltime employees are engaged in our work, many of whom come from the communities in which we work. More than 35,000 women are being served under the Microfinance program of BJS in 6 districts of West Bengal through 26 branches. The clients consisting of 100% women entrepreneurs are being nourished though the program for combating poverty and developing their socio-economic condition. This year BJS got the Award for Highest Portfolio in West Bengal from AMFI-WB under NGO-MFI category.
Apart from the Microfinance Program BJS is also involved in implementing some other Development Programs like:
1. Targeting Hardcore Poor (THP) program for graduation of socio-economic condition of ultra-poor women from extreme poverty to a self sufficient.
2. Knowledge development via financial literacy and awareness campaigns through BJS School of Financial Literacy.
3. Non formal school program for dropout and unwilling children at BJS Shiksha Niketan.
4. Skill development initiative for job creation through BJS Handicrafts.
5. Improved health and hygiene via medical camps and awareness campaigns.
6. Environmental protection via sanitation program and awareness campaigns.
Under the scheme of development programs BJS arranged a grand program for Blanket Distribution among the needy women at Katiahat, Baduria, North 24 Parganas. Shri Bishwajit Das, Chief Executive Officer, BJS welcomed all the women and also distributed blankets to the women. Shri Ashok Kumar Mohapatra, Chief Manager Indian Overseas Bank and Shri Shiv Ram Jha, Branch Manager were present in the occasion.
Another program for distribution of study materials among the very poor students of BJS Shiksha Niketan was also arranged by BJS where Mr. Bishwajit Das, Chief Executive Officer distributed the study material among the students.