Kolkata, January 20, 2017 : Young and talented singer RITURAJ SEN unveiled the first music video TUMHARE SHAHAR KA MAUSAM(SECLUSION) from his album KHAYAL at the Weavers Studio Centre for the Arts. A student of A R Rahman, this is his first music album and second music video. The video which is dramatized on Qaiser ul Jafri’s Tumhare Shahar ka Mausam and sung by Rituraj Sen, is a poignant representation of love, memories and nostalgia set within the patter of the monsoon.
Speaking at the event Rituraj said, “Khayal is a presentation of four popular ghazals and their melodies all the tracks in the album have a very fresh and independent nature from its traditional renditions. Baloo Dutta, one of the most noteworthy disciples of Ghulam ali, first composed the melodies years back and I grew up listening to these and wanted to sing them from a very early age.I finally started the venture back in 2014 after my return from Bangladesh. I recorded the album in Chennai and Kolkata. Shamik Chakravarty and Jerry Sylvester Vincent, the two most adorable musical minds of India of today’s scene have come forward to contribute to the most extraordinary accompaniment for the melodies. They shared their ideas and patiently heard my own ideas and added different and rare textures to the different notches of the orchestral structure. It’s been a long journey since its amazing bringing out the video to all of you.”
Speaking about shooting the video, Rituraj shared his experience, “Shooting was an exciting venture because I was doing it for the first time but my director Mr. Abhinandan Dutta was a gem. His concept and execution made it great and his method of working with the actors and the entire crew has been amazing. He made me do what he wanted me to do while shooting and it went almost imperceptibly. Like Mr. A.R. Rahman he is the second person in my life I have noticed, who never makes his artist dread the situation.”
Also present at the event were director Abhinandan Dutta, Assistant Directors Joy Mukherjee, Sourabh Sanyal and actors Mehuli Sarkar and Sam Samax.
The cast and crew of Tumhare Sahar Ka Mausam include
Tumhare shahar ka mausam(Seclusion):
- Composer: Baloo Dutta
- Singer: Rituraj Sen
- Recording supervisor: Navdeep Dhatra
- Foly sound and music arrangement: Jerry Silvester Vincent (AR’s arranger, sound engineer and recordist)
- Mixing and mastering: Jerry Sylvester Vincent
- Concept and direction of the video: Abhinandan Dutta (Well known director and Editor cum actor)
- Asst. Directors: Joy Mukherjee
- Sourabh Sanyal
- Actors: Mehuli Sarkar, Sam Samax, Rituraj Sen
- Camera: Rommodip Saha (Broadscape Entertainment)
About Rituraj Sen
A music aficionado since he was four, RIturaj’s life is a series of deep interactions with nature amidst rigorous training in music. Having been trained in North Indian classical music, semi classical, ghazal , Bengali and Western Classical, Khayal is his first album. His journey in music toured from KOTALI gharana to RAMPUR SAHASWAN gharana, from rural India to urban India and from the shores of Mumbai to Europe. journey of learning toured from KOTALI gharana (school of thought) to RAMPUR SAHASWAN gharana, from rural India to urban India, from metropolitan India to Europe.
About the album
Khayal is a new presentation of Ghazal with different instrumentation but the authentic style of composition intact. It is an endeavour to present popular Ghazals with new accompanying musical arrangements and with an original singing style derived from singer’s own vision of speaking a poem and singing the melody with the flexibility of voice and that compliments the meaning of the couplets. The style of composition is traditional however its compactness is something that is revolutionary in terms of presentation. There are four songs in the album, Tumhare Shahar Ka Mausam; Main Khayal; Tumhare Shahar Ka Mausam (Seclusion) and Khudawanda.
Some of his major performances include
- Infosys awards in Bangalore
- Radio Mirchi awards in 2011
- Worked as the lead singer in the sufi ensemble founded by A.R. Rahman and that ensemble stormed the concerts across the globe.
- Performed in Ability Foundation Concert with A.R. Rahman in Sthyam theatre, Chennai in 2011.
- Performed ghazals in Hyderabad festivals at Quli Qutub Shah tomb in 2011.
- Performance as a child artist in All Indian Child Welfare Concert in 1997 in Yuvabharati Krirangan in Kolkata.
- Performed sufi qawali for Oprah Winfrey in Discovery Channel in 2011.
- Sang and played the fisherman in the famous 19th century opera ‘If I Were a King’ by Adolphe Adam organized by Neemrana Music Foundation in Delhi in 2010.
- Toured with A.R. Rahman along with Germany’s famous Babelsberg film orchestra in five cities of India and in Germany.
- Worked as the voice training artist and groomer in world’s biggest televised musical reality show(Bangladeshi Idol) by UK Freemantle Media pvt. ltd. in 2013.
- Debut as a playback singer in Bangladeshi art film in 2014.
- Released own private Ghazal album KHAYAL in 2015
- Worked with Indian composers like A.R. Rahman, G. V. Prakash, Amit Trivedi, Emon Shaha( Bangladesh )