By Payel Das:- Kolkata to witness the AHSI’s Winter Flower Show 2017
The beauty of flower is back in this lovely winter to sooth up the mood with its fragrances and in setting a beautiful atmosphere with its extravagant range in lighting up the ambience.
To witness the beauty of flowers in this lovely winter for the people of Kolkata the Agri-Horticultural Society of India is holding its Winter Flower Show from 5th to 8th January, 2017.
Mr. Sumit Mazumder, President of ASHI, says, “After 2005 we are glad to have the All India Rose Convention & Rose Show is held along with our much popular Winter FlowerShow. This will give opertunity to the peopleof Kolkata and its Suburb a chance to see roses from the different parts of the Country as well as more than 200 rose pots by prominent rose growers and a huge quantum of Cut roses will be competing during this Show. The winter flower show comprises of Chrysanthemums, Roses, Dahlias , Gladioli, Marigolds and perennial flowering plants enhancing the beauty of the Society’s nearly 200 years old garden. There will also be competition in formations and different presentations –flower in pot, cut flowers and table decorations with flowers.”.
What makes the Agri Horticultural Society’s Winter Flower Show Unique:
- The Horticulture garden is one of the biggest and oldest open gardens in Kolkata. It is an exclusive garden where a wide range of flowers would be showcased. In midst of nearly 200 years old garden.
- A number of students will be participating in floral decoration / table decoration competition.
- The garden is generally not open for public viewing but in this special occasion the people of Kolkata would get a unique opportunity to witness the vibrant range of flowers and during these 4 days the Horticulture garden would remain open for all the outsiders to witness the beauty of nature.
- The Agri-Horticultural Society Of India was founded in 1820 by Rev. Dr. William Carey, with the objective of developing and promoting agriculture &horticulture in India .The first exhibition was held as early as 1828 and the Society meanwhile catered to the needs of the Agri-horticultural functions of the country, and acted as the de facto Agricultural Ministry of the Central Govt. till 1900. In 1837, the first ever agricultural journal in the country was published.
- The AHSI has a unique history of achievements-it has played a pioneering role in the introduction of a wide array of cereals, cash crops, cinchona, fruits, vegetables, flowering plants and important trees and ornamental plants etc.
- In the past, various Governor General and Viceroys had been the chief patrons of the Society.
- AHSI is traditional and informal garden. Although it is of 195th year old vintage, it is impeccably maintained. It is populated by varieties of rare plants.
- The AHSI today captures the passionate love for plant life, and takes Indian Agri-horticulture to new realms.
- The Agri –Horticultural Society of India, apart from holding regular Flower Shows of various kinds, also holds different competitions like-summer and winter Garden Competition, House Plants Show, Mango Mahotsava, etc. It also propagates the rare plants, shrubs, trees and offers advisory services to plant lovers of the city, to build the bridge between nature lovers and nature.
- This apart, the AHSI is known for its development and preservation of Medicinal and Herbal plants. It also works with a laboratory for Research and Development.
- Education activities include holding International seminars, conducting a 1 year certificate course, conducting a short course Training Programme on Mushroom Culture, Bonsai Culture, and Home Gardening etc. This Society holds one year “certificate in Horticulture” course at the society’s Carey Institute for Boys, affiliated to Calcutta University. Besides this, it also coordinates exhibitions and conferences on Agri-Horticultural Products.
- The AHSI is actively engaged in designing, developing and implementing various landscape projects including their maintenance in and around Kolkata. Besides this AHSI also offers consultancy and advisory services.