The world is probably witnessing the largest lockdown in its history due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Most of the countries across the globe have gone for a national lockdown with a view to slow down the community transmission of this deadly virus. This lockdown has led to a mass quarantine with most people being restricted indoors. Though there is a widespread panic and tension among masses of what possibly the future holds, it goes without saying that humans have been bound to look at their lives from a different perspective. Just like people have started to realise and differentiate between luxuries and necessities, so have they most likely understood that health is one their biggest assets!
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines “Health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” As we sit back at home, why not utilise these 21 days of lockdown to reset our health. Oh, don’t worry, it is not a mammoth task. Little modifications in your everyday routine can indeed give you greater dividends in the long run.
Come, let’s see how…
1. Watch your Diet: If you have been regularly skipping meals or binge eating, it’s time to put a full stop. Proper diet and dietary pattern is one of the key pillars to boost immunity and ensure a healthy you. Make sure you have at least 3 square meals a day which gives you balanced nutrition. Avoid junk food and unhealthy eating habits.
2. Stay Hydrated: Make sure you have plenty of fluids and remain adequately hydrated. Ensure that your drinking water is clean and potable in order to avoid any kind of waterborne infection.
3. Sleep Well: Utilise this period of home quarantine to regularise your sleep cycle and reset your biological clock. Make sure you sleep for at least 6 to 8 hours in a day. Your optimised circadian rhythm will gift you with the best version of your health.
4. Shun the Addictions: No wonder your panic button is on! But, don’t let it catalyse your addiction towards smoking and alcohol. Being at home, you can obviously seek motivation from your family and friends & reprogramme yourself to shun these substance abuse.
5. Manage your Existing Health Condition: Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) confirms that elderly population above 65 years and people burdened with lifestyle diseases like chronic lung infection, asthma diabetes, serious heart conditions and obesity are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19 infection. So, such vulnerable groups should be extremely vigilant and careful in managing their health conditions amidst this outbreak.
6. Adhere to an Active Lifestyle: Do not let this lockdown make you a couch potato. Indulge in free hand exercises, use stairs in place of elevators, and most importantly, walk while you talk to keep yourself physically active.
7. Pursue Your Hobbies: During this lockdown, your home confinement could give you reasons good enough to pursue your long-lost hobbies. Who knows you may discover a new you as you unravel your latent talents boosting your emotional health.
8. Maintain Social Distancing but Don’t Distance out Socially: Yes! Social distancing indeed is the mantra of the day, but man as we all know is a social being. Though we may not be in close physical proximity with all our loved ones, we can of course leverage technology to stay in touch with them and share our feelings.
9. Pray Daily: Last but never the least, gratitude is one of the most important virtues to safeguard your overall health. And what better than prayers to show your gratitude towards all that you have. Pray daily and seek God’s blessings to give you energy, health and peace.
So, keep your corona woes at bay and follow these handy tips to rejuvenate all the three aspects of your health triangle: physical, mental and social well-being.
Eshani Bhaumik Barui
SastaSundar YANA Diet Clinic