The grand launch of the latest edition of The Bengal Fashion Heritage, an initiative by The Bengal Chamber of Commerce & Industry, took place in the esteemed presence of Mr. Indrajit Sen, President – BCC&I, Mr. Subhodip Ghosh, Director General – BCC&I, Dr Rupali Basu, Founder Director of The Bengal Fashion Heritage, Ms Malika Varma, Deputy Director of The Bengal Fashion Heritage, Ms Pinky Kenworthy, Deputy Director of The Bengal Fashion Heritage in Kolkata today.
The occasion witnessed a specially curated celebratory show with exclusive collections made by 13 renowned designers of the city including Abhishek Ray, Adarsh Makharia, Ayushman Mitra, Bappaditya Biswas, Chinmoy Basu, Ekta and Ruchira, Kavita Banerjee, Malika Varma, Pranay Baidya, Paromita Banerjee, Ravi Manil, Sharbari Datta & Sayantan Sarkar. A plethora of specially crafted designs were showcased by these renowned designers with focus on Batik, Kantha, Zardozi, Block print, other thread embroideries and weaves.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr Rupali Basu, Founder Director of the Bengal Fashion Heritage 2018 said, “TBFH not only aims to create platform for the master weavers and artisans in Bengal but also to promote their craft in national and international space. We will organize regular workshops, seminar and exhibitions to promote this initiative.”
Mr. Indrajit Sen, President – BCC&I further added, “We are bringing all the stakeholders together along with the business leaders, bureaucrats and entrepreneurs to support this cause and take this initiative forward to create new business opportunities”.
The main objective of The Bengal Fashion Heritage is to boost to the industry of traditional weaves and hand embroideries by showcasing it and refocusing the awareness towards the exquisite wealth that Bengal and the Eastern Region has prided itself in. It has brought together on a single platform, the new look of traditional weaves and embroideries, focusing on the indigenous handwork and hand-loom of Bengal.
The designers who showcased their collections are:
1. Abhishek Ray: Threadwork with Zardozi in silk
2. Adarsh Makharia, OSAA by Adarsh: Wisteria (Japanese flower) link in Bengal
3. Ayushman Mitra, BOBO Calcutta: Mirage of contemporary art forms that create a surreal hyper maximist statement
4. Bappaditya Biswas, Byloom: Bengal contemporary weaves with Silk, sarees and jackets
5. Chinmoy Basu, Meera Basu: Traditional weaves of Bengal with a modern touch
6. Ekta and Ruchira, EkRu: Contemporary collection with Dhakai weaves on handloom cotton
7. Kavita Banerjee, Bon Bibi: Batik & gota on silk and other fabrics
8. Malika Varma: Malika’s Kantha Collection; Kantha in it’s contemporary avatar
9. Pranay Baidya: Bengal Block Printing in Multicolour
10. Paromita Banerjee: Tussar and silk, revive older motifs of Jamdani; sarees and outfits Paromita Banerjee: Tussar and silk, revive older motifs of Jamdani; sarees and outfits
11. Sharbari Datta, Shunyaa: bringing in classic newness to her signature punjabis in Silk
12. Sayantan Sarkar: Aztec in Bohemian Style in silk weaves woven in Bengal , fusion wear, festive clothing inspired by nomadic lifestyle
13. Ravi Manil of Taneira Sarees: This is the first time ever the brand with display the Sarees in Kolkata
About The Bengal Fashion Heritage:
Formerly known as The Bengal Fashion Show, ‘The Bengal Fashion Heritage – a cause’ is a noble initiative by Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI&I) led by President Mr. Indrajit Sen and spearheaded by Dr Rupali Basu, the founder Director along with Deputy Directors, Ms. Malika Varma and Ms. Pinky Kenworthy.The inaugural edition in 2017 made a mark in the city as a signature forum in bringing together the leaders and patrons from all sectors to showcase designs with exquisite weaving and intricate handiwork from all over Bengal. The designs of Abhishek Ray, Adarsh Makharia, Ayushman Mitra, Bappaditya Biswas Chinmoy Basu, Ekta and Ruchira, Kavita Banerjee, Ravi Manil, Malika Varma, Pranay Baidya, Paromita Banerjee, Sharbari Datta & Sayantan Sarkar has been showcased today on this occasion.