Kolkata: Allegation of death of contractor due to indifference of railways. The tragic death is the overhead wire being electrocuted. His frozen body lay on the station shed for two and a half hours. After that the fire brigade and railway police came and took the body down and sent it to the hospital. Doctors declared him dead when he was taken to the hospital.
At around 5.30 pm on Friday, while workers were working on the shed at the platform of New Garia Station, a worker was suddenly electrocuted by an overhead wire of the railway line. Going to the spot, it was seen that his body was lying on the shed. The body was completely burnt.
The deceased was identified as Abdul Alim Mollah. Home in South 24 Parganas, Sangrampur area. The accident took place at 5.30 pm on Friday After that, it was eight o’clock at night to take down the frozen body from the station shed. The workers have been working on the shed since this morning. It was raining at that time. According to one of Alim’s colleagues, it is believed that the accident took place when everyone tried to bring it down again as they had dropped some parts after everyone had come down.
According to eyewitnesses, the railway contractor had been repairing the shed for several days. The contractors used to work with umbrellas on their heads when it was raining. Since work was being done on the platform of the station, there was a possibility of electrocution in the overhead of the train. Eyewitnesses complained that there were no safety belts or electric safety gloves with any of the workers to avoid danger. No statement was received from the railways in this regard. The contractor also refused to talk.
Alim is survived by his wife, three children and parents at Sangrampur village. He was the sole breadwinner of the family. As soon as the news of his death reached the village, the family was in mourning. Colleagues were saying, ‘We have to work with risk. Otherwise we will not get a job.